NWR Origins is a mini-series of nine episodes that portrays the history of the NWR engines. It began airing
airing on December 3, 2015 and finished on January 24, 2016. These episodes celebrate the 70th anniversary of the RWS and the 100th anniversary of the NWR.
The nine episodes focuses on how engines from the NWR 11 arrived on Sodor or the events surrounding their arrival. Thomas and Edward's episodes take place in 1915, with the opening of the North Western Railway. Henry's episode takes place in 1922, and Gordon two episodes take place the following 3 years. The previously mentioned 3 episodes also deal with the conflict involving 98462 (Alfred) and 87546. James's episode takes place in 1945, and focuses on events from Thomas and the Breakdown train and what happened afterward. Donald & Douglas's episode, taking place in 1959, focuses on their plan to smuggle Douglas along with Donald. Oliver's two episodes focuses on Oliver's life on the GWR, the decline of steam, and his escape from scrap.
The reason there are no episodes dedicated to Percy, Toby, and Duck is because it was already shown in the RWS and TV series how they arrived. T1E2H3 stated that their episodes would just be remakes of the TV episodes, which would be uninteresting. He had originally planned not to do James for the same reason.
- Tank Engine Mixup (Thomas)
- Two's Company (Edward)
- The Trouble with Three (Henry)
- Pride of the LNER (Gordon, Part 1)
- Disgrace of the LNER (Gordon, Part 2)
- Splendid Red (James)
- Smuggling from Scotland (Donald and Douglas)
- Great Western End (Oliver, Part 1)
- Great Western Escape (Oliver, Part 2)
- Donald & Douglas
- Sir Topham Hatt I
- Sir Topham Hatt II
- Eagle the Red Engine
- No. 107
- The Flying Scotsman (not named)
- D261 (Credited as Scottish Diesel)
- The Scottish Controller (not named)
- Flying Scotsman (does not speak)
- Pip and Emma (do not speak)
- Percy (cameo)
- Toby (cameo)
- Emily (cameo)
- Stepney (cameo)
- Spencer (cameo)
- Rosie (cameo)
- No. 106 (cameo)
- No. 109 (cameo)
- Mavis (cameo)
- Salty (cameo)
- Boco (cameo)
- Daisy (cameo)
- Bear (cameo)
- Diesel 10 (cameo)
- Annie and Clarabel (cameo)
- Spiteful Brake Van (cameo)
- Sidney (cameo, but just as a Scottish diesel)
- Wretch (possible cameo)
- Thomas: JakerBraker123
- Edward: EnterprisingEngine93
- James: Andrew Homer
- Donald and Douglas: Carson0802200
- Oliver: The Peel Godred Branch
- Toad: Donald9andDouglas10
- 98462: DarthWill3
- Eagle: Kanefan701
- No. 107, Reporter, Jinty and William: 22Tesla
- Everyone Else: Thomas1Edward2Henry3
- This is not an actual remake of The Adventure Begins. In T1E2H3's universe as well as the Railway Series, the engines arrived in order of their numbers, with Thomas being the first in 1915.
- A teaser trailer was released on September 25, and a full trailer with footage from the first two episodes was released on October 21. A second trailer, with actual dialogue, was released on November 12. The final trailer was released on November 30, and used music from the trailer for the movie Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens.
- T1E2H3's timeline of Sodor events differs from the general fan accepted timeline. The events of the Three Railway Engines takes place in 1924, while every subsequent book takes place the year before the publish date. (ex. Thomas the Tank Engine takes place in 1945)
- The reason there are no episodes dedicated to Percy, Toby, and Duck is because it was already shown in the RWS and TV series how they arrived. T1E2H3 stated that their episodes would just be remakes of the TV episodes, which would be uninteresting.
- Originally, there was going to be an episode dedicated to Diesel which would show what happened whilst Duck was at Wellsworth. However, it was cut because it would add another long story that would require work.
- This is the first time voice actors are used since The Search for Smudger.
- The episodes got darker as they progressed.
- Filming began on September 6, 2015.
- Both Gordon and Oliver's stories are two-parted episodes.
- The engines were portrayed in the following liveries: Thomas in his LB&SCR maroon, Edward in his Furness Railway maroon, Gordon in his LNER Green, James in his L&YR black, and Oliver in his BR dark green.
- If the series is successful, a sequel series may be made.