Episode XXX: Painful Memories was uploaded on September 4, 2017, and is the sixth episode of the fourth season.
After Henry almost gets blown up by fuel tankers, he is so traumatized that he develops an irrational fear for his and everyone else's safety. Part of this is due to an incident that Henry witnessed long ago.
- Alfred/98462 (appears in flashback)
- Gordon (does not speak)
- The Sodor Garratt (cameo)
- Oliver (cameo)
- Toad (cameo)
- Percy (cameo)
- Stanley (cameo)
- Arthur (cameo)
- Sidney (cameo)
- Duck (appears in flashback, cameo)
- The Viaduct
- Tidmouth Sheds
- Wellsworth (appears in flashback)
- Knapford Harbor
- Dalbyton Village
- Gordon's Hill (appears in flashback)
- The Little Western (appears in flashback)
- This episode was written to deeply explore Henry's character, which is a subject of much debate recently among the fandom.
- Events from NWR Origins Episode V and the TV episodes The Sad Story of Henry, The Flying Kipper, Fish, and Something in the Air are shown in flashbacks.
- This is the first (and probably only) time since after the second season where a voice actor other than T1E2H3 is used in The Engines of Sodor. However, it is stock audio of DarthWill3's Alfred lines from NWR Origins.
- The music piece Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber is heard during Henry and Edward's conversation.
- Because the 2012 model of him lacks a surprised face, SI3D's 2010 models of Henry had to be used for certain scenes.
- This is the second episode to not have the intro right at the beginning, after A Tale of a Small Green Engine. However, unlike the previous episode, in which the pre-credit footage was a simple recap of the previous episode using stock footage, the pre-credit scene here was completely new.